Monday, January 12, 2009

An extra ordinary experience

By Victor Kawanga

Just as I find it difficult to tell the difference between the donkey and a mule, the seasonal distinction between my arrival in September (before winter) and actual winter season told me little difference. It was cold any way. So what kind of weather variation would characterize winter was a big question and I laid in wait.

And so when the actual cold spell finally stumped its authority, even the pessimist had reason to follow instructions from the weatherman or woman. You see, I do not know about the way weather men and women are perceived in the United States, but in Zambia, people have a tendency to brush aside the calculated predictions. The winter storm was not only fascinating, but also luring. The best tool for learn is “venture out” and so I did. I found myself staring at a giant and illuminated tree in down town Portland. It is not the silhouette of lights it casts down that moved me, but the thought of finding out whether it was made from plastic. This interest came from no other than a five to six year child standing next to my right hand. Mum, is this plastic? Was the child’s innocent inquiry. “I do not think so, or may be”; came the answer from the parent. The answer was more confusing to the child, I later on thought. Children need direct answers just as adults do.

I was later to learn that the Christmas tree at Pioneer Square is not an assemblage of plastics. It is natural, thanks to a donation from Stimson Lumber Company. This 75 Foot Douglas Fir was grown on sustainable forests in Gaston, Oregon. And it presence there was not a hurriedly thought of issue. While we were busy attending to other chores that shape our lives, Portland City Fathers were for six months researching for which tree would be perfect to grace “Portland’s living room”.

This is the answer I would have given that exploratory mind of a child and not a mixed grill of may be it is plastic, may be not. If I had met this intelligent child the following morning, I surely would have offered to provide an accurate answer.

The tree is reportedly evergreen and eco-friendly too! I read, in one Magazine, that Globe lighting will illuminate the tree with more than 15, 000 energy efficient bulbs assuring that the square uses 91% less energy. In agreement with PDX magazine, it translates into a first truly green tree ever.

No comments: