Thursday, February 28, 2008

WFI Bids Farewell to Australian Matt Pope


After one year in Portland, the time arrived for Australian Matthew Pope and his family to return to Tumut, New South Wales.

Matthew’s project examined field technologies used to streamline the management of information between the office and field. Matthew visited forest organizations, hardware and software developers, and had the dubious distinction of driving the entire length of the I-5 corridor from Canada to San Diego in the process. “The scale of the forest industry in the US and Canada is hard to fathom for an Australian,” said Matt. “Rest assured you do not need to worry about Australia flooding the US market.”

Matt has returned to Forests New South Wales to work with radiata pine plantations. “My day-to-day job is so focused that I often don’t have time to look around at broader issues in forestry,” said Matt. “I think the experiences from this year really broadened my professional understanding of forestry. I am looking forward to implementing some of the knowledge I gained and sharing my experiences with other forestry colleagues far and wide.”

Matt’s wife Ainsley is looking forward to beginning teaching, as she recently completed her education degree. The family is excited to be back in the land of sunshine. Four year old Keegan summed it up best as the family went through customs at the Sydney airport. Upon hearing familiar accents, Keegan exclaimed “these people speak our language!”

No comments: